For all our delegates travelling from interstate or overseas, here are a few interesting facts you may not know about Perth:
- Perth is the sunniest capital city in Australia.
- Perth was recently voted the friendliest city in Australia.
- Rottnest Island was named because the Dutch explorer mistakenly thought the lovely Quokkas were giant rats (Rotte Nest – Rats’ nest).
- You can fairly often see dolphins in the Swan River around East Fremantle.
- Perth is also called the “City of Light” a nickname which originated when astronaut John Glenn orbited the earth in 1962 and easily identified the city after everyone in Perth turned on all their lights.
- Kings Park is one of the largest inner city nature parks in the world and it is situated very near to the Perth Convention Centre.
- In Perth you are rarely more than 20 minutes from the beach!